Indian Mound Neighborhood Association Meeting Minutes from September 20, 2021.
Next Meeting: Monday, October 18, 2021 at 6:30 p.m. via Zoom.
Tom Utterback, Exodus Project
- Re-entry strategies, contractor with US Bureau of Prisons
- KC does not currently have a community facility/residential reentry center
- Usually called “half-way house”
- US BOP has successful program – less than 10% recidivism rate
- Louis has most successful program: 50,000 people in last 20+ years, less than 7% recidivism, 95% employment rate
- Great training programs, highly skilled workers
- Wants more community involvement!
- Tried to go through city to open at 1401 Kansas
- KC Police Credit Union across the street objected
- Work center, family reunification center
- Hoping we will support them
- Will include citizen advisory board, and IMNA could fill that role
- In feds, Judges are responsible for parolees (in states, they are not)
- 134 N. Hardesty is building of interest; 6100 Wilson (across from library)
- Beth Beavers brings up for vote, objections, or concerns. No objections or concerns raised.
- It is agreed the Indian Mound board will sign a letter of support
- If any concerns or questions arise, contact any of the board members or firstname.lastname@example.org
Brandon Mason, Legal Aid
- Helps neighborhood with housing, especially vacant houses.
- Urban Homesteading: Rehab of vacant properties by families who will live in them
- Pumpkin Patch, Sat., October 23, 1-4, Indian Mound Park
- Looking for volunteers!
- Block Party/Festival for Mural, October 9, noon to 4 p.m., – Quincy and Independence
Joe Wheelock, Heartland Tree Alliance
- 9: Planting 100 trees in neighborhood
- Need at least 5 ft of green space in right of way
- But can also get free tree for other, smaller space in yard