Historic Old Northeast is characterized by a highly diverse population (ethnically and economically), as the neighborhood serves as the “entry point” for many immigrants and migrants arriving in Kansas City, Missouri. The median age in the Indian Mound neighborhood is 31 years, which is 7 years younger than that of Missouri’s population as a whole. Seventy percent of the Indian Mound residents are less than 45 years old. Some young adult residents are “urban pioneers” that choose the neighborhood for its eclectic and diverse culture.
- James Elementary School (LINC program available)
- Gladstone Elementary School (LINC program available)
- Holy Cross (K through 8th)
- Northeast Middle School
- Northeast High School
- Thacher school, an elementary school built in 1900 (shown below), was torn down in 2015
- Budd Park (there’s a pool!)
- Kessler Park (home to Cliff Drive)
- Indian Mound Park
Indian Mound’s location makes it accessible via bus and bike.
Bike Paths and Trails