Urban Homesteading

Urban Homesteading

We work with Legal Aid of Western Missouri to help get vacant and blighted housing into the hands of people who would like to have a home to call their own.

The Urban Homesteading Program

If you or someone you know is skilled in home repair or construction you can own your own home.

The houses must be

  1. Vacant for at least six months continuously
  2. Delinquent on taxes for at least two years
  3. A nuisance (property should have open codes violations).

After identifying an eligible property and discussing it with a Legal Aid attorney, the neighborhood association, can bring an Abandoned Housing Act suit. The next step is to find a suitable Urban Homesteader to take on the home rehabilitation

FAQs (English) (Espanol)

Urban Homesteading Application (English) (Spanish update)